He'll Never Forsake Us
9 Do not cast me away when I am old;
do not forsake me when my strength is gone.
10 For my enemies speak against me;
those who wait to kill me conspire together.
11 They say, "God has forsaken him;
pursue him and seize him,
for no one will rescue him."
12 Be not far from me, O God;
come quickly, O my God, to help me.
13 May my accusers perish in shame;
may those who want to harm me
be covered with scorn and disgrace.
14 But as for me, I will always have hope;
I will praise you more and more.
15 My mouth will tell of your righteousness,
of your salvation all day long,
though I know not its measure.
16 I will come and proclaim your mighty acts, O Sovereign LORD;
I will proclaim your righteousness, yours alone.
17 Since my youth, O God, you have taught me,
and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.
18 Even when I am old and gray,
do not forsake me, O God,
till I declare your power to the next generation,
your might to all who are to come.
Tommy's Thoughts:
Last week, I heard a testimony from a church speaker who had been disappointed, frustrated and discouraged for over 7 years because the action and decision of others. Although he was tempted to be dishonest and take the easy way out from his dilemma, he decided to listen to God’s voices and follow His leading.
He held on to his integrity with hope in God through all those years. Despite the situation, He still saw God faithfully standing beside him, helping and blessing him in other meaningful ways.
At times, things do turn out not the way we wanted or expected. It’s easy to wrongly think God has abandoned us or worst working against us. We need to be like the psalmists, who have resolute confidence and hope in God’s constant help and refuge in all circumstances. With a grateful heart, they praise and thank God, proclaiming His righteousness and declaring His sovereignty.
Dear Lord, thank You for Your constant help and guidance to me. Forgive me that sometimes I overlook or is unaware of Your good works in my life, blinded by situations in front of me. I will sing praises to You all the days of my life, making it a testimony of what You has done for me. In the wonderful name of Jesus, I pray, Amen.
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." - Joshua 1:9
Bee's Thoughts:
The above psalm shows King David as human as we are. In his old age, frail and weak, he wondered if God would forsake him. Therefore his plea, "Do not cast me away when I am old; do not forsake me when my strength is gone." (v9) and "Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God" (v18). This seems like a reverse-phsychological statement, 'cos I believe he knew very well that God will never forsake him. When we read all the pslams written by King David, we could see his full confidence in God, and his desire to do God's will. He is known as "a man after God's own heart".
Sometimes I also felt the way King David did. When I was a young Christian, I like to use the prayers of David as mine to God. Each time I prayed like David did, I felt the assurance from God.
Recently, I miss some of my close friends a lot as they are all so busy with works these days, so am I. Yes, friends may forsake us no matter how close we are to each other before, or how good we have been towards them, but not the almighty God. It's time like this that we have to always come back to God's word to be reassured of His faithfulness and love towards us.
Dear Lord,
Thank You that You will never leave me nor forsake me, even when I am old. My close ones may leave me, but You won't, Your presence is ever before me. Help me not to feel sad or hurt when loved ones do not love me as before anymore. Help me to stay strong in Your love and continue to care for them with Your unfailing love. Help me in my weakness and my weariness.
I pray all these in Jesus' name. Amen.


