Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Don't Be Afraid


Psalm 56

1 Be merciful to me, O God, for men hotly pursue me;
all day long they press their attack.

2 My slanderers pursue me all day long;
many are attacking me in their pride.

3 When I am afraid,
I will trust in you.

4 In God, whose word I praise,
in God I trust; I will not be afraid.
What can mortal man do to me?

5 All day long they twist my words;
they are always plotting to harm me.

6 They conspire, they lurk,
they watch my steps,
eager to take my life.

7 On no account let them escape;
in your anger, O God, bring down the nations.

8 Record my lament;
list my tears on your scroll [b]—
are they not in your record?

9 Then my enemies will turn back
when I call for help.
By this I will know that God is for me.

10 In God, whose word I praise,
in the LORD, whose word I praise-

11 in God I trust; I will not be afraid.
What can man do to me?

12 I am under vows to you, O God;
I will present my thank offerings to you.

13 For you have delivered me [c] from death
and my feet from stumbling,
that I may walk before God
in the light of life. [d]

Tommy's Thoughts:

Although we might not have someone plotting to take our lives, we do face intimidation, pressure, insult, bad-mouthing and hurt from others. They seem to watch our every step, waiting for every opportunity to put us down. We become anxious and guarded every time we are around them. We fear our carelessness or mistake will allow them to unfairly harm, hurt and affect us in ways. We feel helpless to stop them.

But we should not be afraid of men as God is always in control and He knows our every problem and ‘threat’. Despite the hurt and harm others can inflict on us; they will never be able to rob us of our souls and our promised future. Instead, we should fear God and trust Him to bring judgment to those who harm us.

Dear Lord, thank You for hearing my prayer, giving me the courage when I was in fear. Thank You for being there with me when I was discouraged and wronged. Lord, I will trust in You always and praise Your wonderful Name. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

Bee's Thoughts:


Dear Lord,
I have been extremely tired and stressed by work these 2 days, working almost non-stop. Thank You for Your comforting words.
Sometimes there are politics in the office, people might backbite or say anything untrue about another in order to excel themselves. Help me, Lord, to stay true and strong and do my best. I pray that Your name will be glorified in my work.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.