Priorities
No Confidence in the Flesh
1 Finally, my brothers, rejoice in the Lord! It is no trouble for me to write the same things to you again, and it is a safeguard for you.
2 Watch out for those dogs, those men who do evil, those mutilators of the flesh. 3 For it is we who are the circumcision, we who worship by the Spirit of God, who glory in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh— 4 though I myself have reasons for such confidence.
If anyone else thinks he has reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: 5 circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; 6 as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for legalistic righteousness, faultless.
7 But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. 10 I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.
Tommy's Thoughts:
Our relationship with Christ is more important than everything in life. To know Him and His resurrection power, we may have to give up certain things or make sacrifices. It might be our time, comfort, plans, pleasures, or fulfillments. When we trust in Him, we are united with Him, exchanging our shortcomings for His complete righteousness. His resurrection power will help us to live morally renewed and regenerated lives.
Like His resurrection that gives us a new life, His crucifixion brings death to our old sinful nature. To know His resurrection and to have our lives transformed, we must also apply Christ’s crucifixion on all our sins. We must make the conscious effort to know Christ has already put to death all our sin, giving us a new and victorious start as sin no longer have control over us.
Dear Lord, forgive me that at times I place other things above seeking a relationship with You, to know You personally and to make sacrifices. Help me to realize and know to die to sin and be renewed through the victory of Christ’s resurrection. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.
Bee's Thoughts:
Paul has given up all his learning and status to become a follower of Christ. His goal in life was "to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death" (v10). Shouldn't that be my goal too?
Dear Lord,
May I truly know Christ... not just on the surface.
May I truly experience the power of His ressurection... raising me from my dying spirit.
May I truly share in His sufferings... knowing His pains.
May I become like Him... a shinning light.
In Jesus' name I humbly pray. Amen.
.......the devotion of Bee & Tommy


