Monday, April 17, 2006

Divine Strength

John 18:1-11

Jesus Arrested
1 When he had finished praying, Jesus left with his disciples and crossed the Kidron Valley. On the other side there was an olive grove, and he and his disciples went into it.

2 Now Judas, who betrayed him, knew the place, because Jesus had often met there with his disciples. 3 So Judas came to the grove, guiding a detachment of soldiers and some officials from the chief priests and Pharisees. They were carrying torches, lanterns and weapons.

4 Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked them, "Who is it you want?"

5 "Jesus of Nazareth," they replied.

"I am he," Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.) 6When Jesus said, "I am he," they drew back and fell to the ground.

7 Again he asked them, "Who is it you want?"
And they said, "Jesus of Nazareth."

8 "I told you that I am he," Jesus answered. "If you are looking for me, then let these men go." 9 This happened so that the words he had spoken would be fulfilled: "I have not lost one of those you gave me."

10 Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant's name was Malchus.)

11 Jesus commanded Peter, "Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?"

Tommy's Thoughts:

In the garden of Gethsemane, Jesus was greatly troubled and deeply distressed over not only the physical pain He will endure, but also the burden of sins and separation from the Father. But, after a fervent and persistent prayer, Jesus left the garden strengthened in His resolve. Boldly He said “I am He” to the soldiers and officials from the chief priests and Pharisees that came looking for Him.

There are times we feel unable to obey or follow what we know is right. We face difficult situations and trying circumstances that move us to choose the easy way out, the shortcuts. These are the times where we need to pray fervently to God to give us the strength to go where He wanted us to go, doing what He knows is best for us. We need to pray by submitting to the will of God; enabling us to face the cup of life given to us.

Dear Lord, thank You for giving me the resolve in keeping and applying Your teachings to all those hard situations I have to face in my life. Thank You also for Your strength and peace that keep me going, holding firmly to the glorious hope in You. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.


Bee's Thoughts:

There's no coincidence that I have just watched the documentary show, the "Gospel of Judas", screened over the Discovery Channel on the TV tonight. In this 'gospel' Judas was portrayed as the one helping Jesus to fulfill His mission, instead of being a betrayer. What a world of difference from the four gospels, Matthew, Mark Luke John. This is also available at the National Geographic site.

What touches me is not so much the difference in the accounts in this 'gospel', as I don't think it can hold any 'water', but rather the scenes on Jesus dying on the cross and the Christians who were tortured for their faith in Christ. Undoubtingly it shows God's divine power in them. Likewise, we Christians today are able to receive strength from God if we have to suffer for His name's sake.

Interestingly, I have just read a 15-year-old student's blog, asking the following questions:
1. If a gun was pointed at you and you were asked if you were a Christian and if you said yes you will be shot, what would you say?

2. If a gun was pointed at your mother, a non believer, and if you said you were a christian, she would be shot, what would you say?
Hmmn... food for thoughts... what will be your answers?


Dear Lord,
Thank You for reminding me today that I can receive strength from You if I have to suffer. Thank You that You are the true and living God. I pray that I will hold fast my faith when testing comes upon me. I pray that I will not deny Your name.
In Jesus' name I ask. Amen.