Saturday, April 22, 2006

Right Waiting


Psalm 40:1-8

1 I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry.


2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.

3 He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the LORD.

4 Blessed is the man
who makes the LORD his trust,
who does not look to the proud,
to those who turn aside to false gods.

5 Many, O LORD my God,
are the wonders you have done.
The things you planned for us

no one can recount to you;
were I to speak and tell of them,
they would be too many to declare.

6 Sacrifice and offering you did not desire,
but my ears you have pierced,;
burnt offerings and sin offerings
you did not require.


7 Then I said, "Here I am, I have come—
it is written about me in the scroll.

8 I desire to do your will, O my God;
your law is within my heart."

Tommy's Thoughts:

Waiting is never easy. Whenever we get ourselves into trouble or dilemma, we'll often try all kind of hasty ways on our own to get rid, get out or get away from them. Most of the times, this shortsightedness rob and delay us from experiencing the blessings from God. If we trust and obey God, to be patient and willing to persevere to go through the trial of waiting, we will understand the necessity and significance of the wait as we look back at the end of the day. We will agree with God that it was the best possible way!

In today’s Psalm, we see how David received 4 benefits for patiently waiting for God’s deliverance:
1. God lifted him out of his despair.
2. God set his feet on rock.
3. God gave him a firm place to stand.
4. God put a new song of praise in his mouth.

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for Your good plans given to me everyday; plans that at times I was slow to see, realize or understand. But, I trust in You for everything I have or going to go through, knowing them all will work for good for those who loves You. Thank You for Your testing and molding to equipped me to be more like Christ each day.

Give me strength and wisdom to patiently wait in trying times and also learn to love You, serve others and tell others about You while waiting. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

Bee's Thoughts:

The prayer to the Lord by King David has become my prayer too.
It's a prayer of confidence in God:
in His compassion to listen to our cry;
in His power to lift us up when we are down;
in His plan for our life though at times it looks bleak;
in His desire for us to be His rather than our sacrifice.


Dear Lord,
Just like King David, I have experienced all Your goodness towards me in my life. At times I may forget about them, but this psalm again reminds me of who You are and what You want to do for me. I want to trust in You, Lord. You want my life rather than my offerings. Guide me as I walk in faith.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.