Thursday, April 27, 2006

Perpetual Prayer

Luke 11:1-13

Jesus' Teaching on Prayer

1 One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, "Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples."

2 He said to them, "When you pray, say:
" 'Father,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come.
3 Give us each day our daily bread.
4 Forgive us our sins,
for we also forgive everyone who sins against us.
And lead us not into temptation.' "

5 Then he said to them, "Suppose one of you has a friend, and he goes to him at midnight and says, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, 6 because a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him.'

7 "Then the one inside answers, 'Don't bother me. The door is already locked, and my children are with me in bed. I can't get up and give you anything.' 8 I tell you, though he will not get up and give him the bread because he is his friend, yet because of the man's boldness he will get up and give him as much as he needs.

9 "So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

11 "Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

Tommy's Thoughts:

We might have been disappointed with our past unanswered prayers, questioning whether if God does care or listen to our dire needs. We soon find ourselves staying away from anymore prayers fearing another let down.

The problem is probably not we are skeptical of God’s ability to answer us, but more about our attitude in prayer and how we view our relationship with God: Who is He to us? Do we see Him as a loving heavenly Father who wants the best for His children (v11-13)? Do we trust and believe in His faithfulness and goodness on us? Do we praise God like Jesus before our prayers? Are we persistence and perpetual in our prayers? Or, do we pray only when we are in troubles?

“Give us each day our daily bread” (v3)

God’s provision for us is daily. We can never store up everything at once and cut off communication from God. Our attitude should be to go to God daily with our prayers, keeping us closer and connected to Him, to grow our relationship with Him and ultimately to understand Him and His wills for us better.

Dear Lord, thank You for being the Source of my strength and peace. Guide me to listen to You daily: Your teachings,lessons,instructions with a humble heart and also to share with You all my needs and desire. Teach me also always to seek You and Your kingdom first before everything else. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

Bee's Prayers:

Dear Father,

Your name is worthy to be praised. Let my life shows forth Your glory.
May your will be done in my life, be it in my work, my study or my relationship with others.
Give me all that I need each day that I may have the strength to go on.
Forgive my sins. if I have disobeyed You or hurt anyone unknowingly.
I too forgive those who might have uttered wrong things against me or hurt me.
Let me not be tempted to sin against You.

In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.