Sunday, April 30, 2006

Surrendered Crowns

Revelation 4:6-11

6 Also before the throne there was what looked like a sea of glass, clear as crystal.

In the center, around the throne, were four living creatures, and they were covered with eyes, in front and in back. 7 The first living creature was like a lion, the second was like an ox, the third had a face like a man, the fourth was like a flying eagle. 8 Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under his wings. Day and night they never stop saying: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come." 9 Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor and thanks to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever, 10 the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne, and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say:
11 "You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things,
and by your will they were created
and have their being.
"


Bee's Thoughts:

What is my earthly 'crown'?

As I ponder over this question, I realized I do have many 'crowns' which I treasured. They are my achievements in life that signify my worth.

Having grown up with very strong inferiority complex has caused me to search hard for my identity and my self-worth. So I worked very hard at work and also study very hard all my life. Yes I have made it... I have done well in my work, have got many promotions and obtained my Master degree about 3 years ago. They do raise my confidence level, my self-worth and self acceptance a little. Yet one thing I know for sure is that without God I am back to square one. I have them because of the grace of God.

There is nothing for me to boast about. Indeed, nothing. Take God away from my life, and I will still feel as worthless as ever. For there were times that I felt inferior again until I go to God in prayers. In Him I feel my worth as the child of the King who deserves the crown.

Dear Father in heaven,
I want to surrender my ‘crowns’ before You. They are worthless without You. Only in You can I really find my worth and confidence.
You are worthy to receive all glory. and honor and power. All that I have come from You. Amen.

Tommy's Thoughts:

It was not an accident, God made me did a last minute change to the final hymn for the church service yesterday. Aside from matching to the sermon's message closely, it touched and drawn the congregation nearer to God, to worship, praise and glorify Him.

We should always acknowledge the sovereignty and power of God, the Creator of all things. No matter how precise, accurate and perfect our own plans, timings and 'formulas' may be, they will ultimately fail when we exclude God in the equation. No matter how capable or skillful we think we are, we will too fail in the end if we are unable to acknowledge all gifts came from God.

No matter what earthly achievements, accomplishments or recognitions we may receive or gain, they will be worthless, equal to nothing at the end if we have never surrender the rulership of our lives to our Sovereign God.

Dear Lord, thank You for teaching me to have the right perspective and motivation in everything I do, surrendering the rulership of my life to You and bringing all praise, glory and honor unto You, for You alone is worthy! In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.