The Great Overcomer
God Disciplines His Sons
1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
4 In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. 5 And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons:
"My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline,
and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,
6 because the Lord disciplines those he loves,
and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son."
7 Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? 8 If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. 9 Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! 10 Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. 11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
12 Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. 13 "Make level paths for your feet," so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed.
Tommy's Thoughts:
I was startled by an illustration of Christ’s Crucifixion when I was young. During that time, I was yet to know the meaning and of Christ’s divinity. The only thing I saw and felt was the excruciating pain this person must has gone through on the cross. But, what puzzled me most and what I don’t see in other religions was the image of how a ‘holy person’ was shown sacrificed and tortured, instead of being a mighty and all-powerful.
Little did I know, this seemingly ‘defeat’ was in fact the greatest victory and act of genuine love in history of mankind! Without this key event, everything in life will be futile, impossible and hopeless because of our sins. And we will never know how much God really loves each one of us that He laid down His own precious Son to give us salvation.
Nothing is more perfect or wonderful than God’s plan and love for us.
Dear Lord, how great, wonderful and amazing Your love! Forgive me that at times I’m slow to see and obey Your ways and teachings, focusing only on feeling and selfish gain. Forgive me also for not shining brightly as Your children of light to those around me by being self-centered, not seeing the needs of others.
Thank You Jesus for making the impossible possible through what You have done for me on the Cross. Thank You also for being there with me all the time, in good and trying times, and never leave or forsake me (Deuteronomy 31:6, Joshua 1:5, Hebrews 13:5).
Lord, I pray that You’ll help me to remember not to take for granted the love and salvation I have received freely from You and teach me to be obedient, continue growing each day to be more like Christ in every aspects of my life. In Jesus’ name, I pray, Amen.
Bee's Thoughts:
Very often, we are distracted by many things during our walk with God. Things such as our career, our relationships, our studies, our ambitions, our envious or inferior-complex self can make us lose focus on what is eternal.
Here Paul asked us, Christians, to "throw off everything that hinder" us and the "sins that entangle" (v1), and to fix our eyes on Jesus (v2). Whenever we feel weary in doing what is right, we are to turn to Jesus as our role model for our perseverence.
Dear Lord,
Search my heart and show me tonight the things that hinder me in running this spirtual race with You. I want to remove them as You commanded. Give me strength to do so. For things that help and encourage me to walk with You more, let me not be tired in doing them.
I pray that You will protect my best friend as he travels for his working trip tomorrow. May You grant him journey mercy and give him a fruitful trip. Let Your wisdom be in his mouth as he deals with people at work. Let him find peace and rest in You. May You bring him home safely again.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.


