Friday, April 07, 2006

The Rest


Matthew 11:20-30

Woe on Unrepentant Cities
20Then Jesus began to denounce the cities in which most of his miracles had been performed, because they did not repent. 21"Woe to you, Korazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! If the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. 22But I tell you, it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you. 23And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted up to the skies? No, you will go down to the depths.[a] If the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Sodom, it would have remained to this day. 24But I tell you that it will be more bearable for Sodom on the day of judgment than for you."
Rest for the Weary
25At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. 26Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure.

27"All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Tommy's Thoughts:

Heavy burdens.

They come in many forms. We may be carrying a burden of a sin from our past, a bondage that seems unbreakable, an unhealed hurt deep inside our heart, excessive demands by others at work and home, oppressions, unfulfilled longings this side of heaven or weariness in searching for God. We may go through life carrying these extra loads with despair and hopelessness.

But, Jesus has promised to give us rest if we were to come to Him when we are weary and burdened. This rest is love, healing and peace with God when we share His yoke. When we work right beside Him, we will see our attitude and perception over things changes: meaningless, stressful, tiring chores turn into spiritual productivity, opportunity and purpose.

Dear Lord, thank You for your forgiveness and gift of salvation. Thank You for being there with me when I was worn down from carrying my burdens. Thank You for giving me a purpose in life, to honor and glorify You in everything I do (Isaiah 43:7, 1 Corinthians 6:20). Lord, teach me to seek your truth in childlike faith, knowing only You holds all the answers. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.


Bee's Thoughts:

I always like verse 28,"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Very often I refuse to rest even though I am weary and worn. I struggled to keep going till I drop literally. It can become very unproductive to just push myself further instead of taking a break and rest to recharge my engery.

Spiritually is the same, Jesus invited us to go to Him to find rest. Sometimes I like to run away to a quiet place to just spend time with God. That is a spiritual and emotional rest in Him. Only by doing so can I find the recharged energy to go on to love and to care for others.

Dear Lord,
Thank You that You are my rest. I need You even now. I am very tired. Amen.

.......the devotion of Bee & Tommy