Genuine Caring
13 As you know, it was because of an illness that I first preached the gospel to you. 14 Even though my illness was a trial to you, you did not treat me with contempt or scorn. Instead, you welcomed me as if I were an angel of God, as if I were Christ Jesus himself. 15 What has happened to all your joy? I can testify that, if you could have done so, you would have torn out your eyes and given them to me. 16 Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?
17 Those people are zealous to win you over, but for no good. What they want is to alienate you from us, so that you may be zealous for them. 18 It is fine to be zealous, provided the purpose is good, and to be so always and not just when I am with you. 19 My dear children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you, 20 how I wish I could be with you now and change my tone, because I am perplexed about you!
Tommy's Thoughts:
A friend was questioning what God has ever blessed her with over the years. She was very sad over a situation in her life that she doubted and even blamed God. She soon found herself having a hard time to be a ‘good’ Christian; she felt guilty rather than loved; she constantly keep in mind how far short she has fell that she didn’t care anymore.
I used to defend God by giving all kind of examples of blessings, care and protection she had received through the years. But, I’ve missed out to mention one of the greatest gift God has given her, the gift of salvation.
Like the Galatians who had lost their joy of salvation because of legalism, we need to continually remind ourselves to live by faith in Christ instead of trying to live up to the demands and expectations of others.
Dear Lord, thank You for reminding me to check my own focus when at times I feel guilty or inadequate despite knowing what Christ has done for me on the Cross. Teach me also to have the tact and gentleness of Christ when serving and caring for those who is in needs or facing difficulty. In the precious name of Jesus, I pray, Amen.
Bee's Thoughts:
The way Paul prayed and laboured for the Christians he cared for was as if he was experiencing child-labour. His hope and joy was to see Christ forms in them (becoming Christ-like) (19). That is also the desire of God.
But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."
- 1 Peter 1:15-16
Dear Lord,
It's Your desire for all Christians to be Christ-like. Let me live a life that is pleasing to You. Help me to have the heart of Paul too, that constantly praying for my fellow Christians to be like You, encouraging them when they are weak.
For one particular brother-in-Christ, who is facing lots of stress and problems and is on the verge of a breakdown, I pray that You will have mercy on him. Let him know that Your grace is sufficient for him. Let him lift up his eyes to You instead of his problems. Keep him in Your arms, Lord. May your peace fills his heart.
For my best friend, who is feeling the stress of his coming important exam, I pray for peace and a clear mind. May You guide his eyes to the important areas he needs to know. Let him trust that You know what is best for him whatever the exam result is, as long as he has done his best.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.


