Thursday, April 13, 2006

When The Pressure Is On

Romans 5:1-5

Peace and Joy
1 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. 3 Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

Tommy's Thoughts:

Rejoicing in our sufferings? How can we feel joy when we are in pain and distress? Not only it seems impossible to feel joy, it’s even hard to feel anything when we are deeply hurt, discouraged or disappointed. We find ways and outlets to release the pressure or lessen the pain, but only for awhile and things might even turn worst like developing all kinds of addictions.

As Christian, we can rejoice despite our sufferings not because we like pain or ignoring its significance, but because we know we are complete in Christ, having the peace from being made right with God. Rejoice because we know God is using our lives’ difficulties and Satan’s attacks to help us grow and build our character. Through sufferings, we can identify ourselves with Christ, not being discouraged with problems but learning to depend on the power from Christ, who lives in us by the Holy Spirit.

Dear Lord, these few weeks have been especially tough for me. The stress and problems don’t seem to go away or end anytime soon. But, I know and can see for the first time, thanks to the Holy Spirit, what You are trying to equip me with through all these ‘obstacles’. And, I’m happy that I can still give You thanks and praise everyday knowing that You have poured out Your love into my hearts (v5), changing and renewing me to be more like Christ each day. Thank You Lord! In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.


Bee's Thoughts:

Since childhood days, there were times I hoped I could just disappear from this earth when my sufferings became too unbearable. During those times I wished I had never been born, just like what I wrote in my poem. I envied those who come from good homes.

This passage has always been one that kept me persevering on in spite of the sufferings I'd gone through in life. I knew that God wanted to mould my character through them. Yes, I have become someone who has more persevering power, more patient, more empathy, never give up easily on things or people. And yes, my faith in Christ grew stronger too.

I know there are more things for me to learn. I need to learn not only to accept sufferings but to "rejoice" in them too.

Dear Lord,
Thank You for moulding my character through those sufferings. Let me learn to rejoice and give thanks to You each time sufferings come along instead of passively accepting it or complaining about it. It's not an easy lesson but Your Spirit will help me learn it.
I also want to pray for my friends who are having some struggles in life that You will be their strength at this moment. May You teach them Your ways and their paths. I pray that Your peace be with them right now.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.