Saturday, July 08, 2006

Not Ashamed of Christ

2 Timothy 1:8-13

8So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God, 9who has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, 10but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. 11And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher. 12That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day.

13What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus.

Bee's Thoughts:

I have heard many times about people who claimed to be Christians but don't go to church anymore. The usual 'reason' given was they are too frustrated with certain churches of group of Christians. Is that a valid 'reason"?

It is true that most people are are attracted to Christianity or Christ because of certain Christians whose life influenced them. As a young believer, there is a tendency to look at people. However, when one becomes a born-again Christian, one no longer look at people but look at Jesus, the auther and finisher of our faith.

Yes, people or other Christians may disappoint us since we live in an imperfect world. But a truly born-again Christian will still go to church as that is the commandment of God in both the old and new testament. He/She can declare like Paul, "I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day." (v12).

Dear Lord,
Thank You for coming into my life many years ago. Thank You for keeping me and seeing me through whenever doubts about You came into my thoughts. Thank You that You never let me go when at times I felt discouraged by other believers and wanted to go away. Thank You for keeping me in the church with my fellow Christians, no matter how hard it may be at times. May You continue to keep me in Your fold.
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Tommy's Thoughts:

As I was chatting with a Christian friend the other day, he asked me which church I attend to on Sunday. He continued by asking me how big is my church? I asked whether he meant the building or the congregation or the total members. He said it’s the total members and I answered I don’t really know what is called big or small because I haven’t really compares with other churches. He went on and said big churches are not good, he prefers smaller one. I bluntly said the primary reason I went to church is to seek God and worship Him, rather than checking out how established or famous the church’s ‘club’ is.

It is true that there’re many Christian who forget about the reason they attended a church. Instead of the eagerness to meet God to worship and praise Him, listening to what He wanted to tell us, we went to focus on other less important things. These lesser things will never be able to keep our zest to come to church for long, and before we know it we’re thinking of switching to other church or quit going to church all together.

Dear Lord, thank You for reminding me the reason for me to come together with members of the body of Christ, to seek You, praise and glorify Your Name. Guard me to focus unto You always and not to be lead astray by distractions around me. Teach me to have patience and to rejoice spiritually with Your promises despite every circumstances. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.