Thursday, July 20, 2006

Not My Will



Luke 22:39-46

Jesus Prays on the Mount of Olives
39Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him. 40On reaching the place, he said to them, "Pray that you will not fall into temptation." 41He withdrew about a stone's throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, 42"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." 43An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. 44And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.[a]

45When he rose from prayer and went back to the disciples, he found them asleep, exhausted from sorrow. 46"Why are you sleeping?" he asked them. "Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation."


Tommy's Thoughts:

There are times when we are tested with difficult situation to clarify our true motives. God uses this situation for us to reaffirm our total commitment to Him and doing what He has commanded us to do. Without this test, it’s impossible for our faith to grow.

God knows all the whys for each of us, and He is sovereign and in control. We need to trust Him to know what best for us and start following His leading. Submit our hearts to Him and begin living our life each day His way with gladness and joy.

Dear Lord, thank You for Your tests to reaffirm my commitment to You. Thank You also for Your light that shines to me the right path to take and turn to. Though I know it won’t be easy but I will trust in Your sovereignty, love and care that take me through all the trials coming my way. Thank You for being always there for me; being my God, my companion and my friend. In Jesus' precious name, I pray. Amen


Bee's Thoughts:

Can we pray like Jesus did in time of suffering, "not my will, but yours be done." (v42)?

Very often, we pray according to our will rather than God's will. Actually, Jesus did say that if we abide in Him and He in us, we can ask anything in His name and God will give them to us. That is, if we abide in Christ, His will becomes ours, so surely what we ask for will be in His will too. It's like in a love relationship where 2 people are joint in their desires and both wanting to do what pleases the other.

Dear Lord,
How much do I love You? How much do I want to do Your will? Forgive me for wanting to do things my ways many times. I pray that I will love You more and more each day and will do Your will more too. May I be like Jesus who is totally in submission to You.
I pray that in my work and relationship it will always be "not my will but Yours be done, Lord."
In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.