A Time To Forgive
The Crucifixion
26As they led him away, they seized Simon from Cyrene, who was on his way in from the country, and put the cross on him and made him carry it behind Jesus. 27A large number of people followed him, including women who mourned and wailed for him. 28Jesus turned and said to them, "Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me; weep for yourselves and for your children. 29For the time will come when you will say, 'Blessed are the barren women, the wombs that never bore and the breasts that never nursed!' 30Then
" 'they will say to the mountains, "Fall on us!"
and to the hills, "Cover us!" '[a] 31For if men do these things when the tree is green, what will happen when it is dry?"
32Two other men, both criminals, were also led out with him to be executed. 33When they came to the place called the Skull, there they crucified him, along with the criminals—one on his right, the other on his left. 34Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."[b] And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.
Bee's Thoughts:
"Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." (v 34)
In the past, whenever someone offended me, the above verse would come to my mind and I would pray for the person concerned. However, I have since forgotten about this verse for a long while.
This is a very powerful verse because when we forgive someone who has hurt us, we are in effect setting ourselves free from emotional 'imprisonment'. When we release someone, we are releasing ourselves from hurt too.
Recently, I have had some frustrations at my working place. I was almost on the verge of crying during an office meeting yesterday. I felt stifled in my work by office 'politics'. But today's devotion has reminded me to forgive like Jesus did. Yes, I feel better when I make this prayer of forgiveness. I am releasing myself from 'bondage'.
Dear Lord,
Thank You for forgiving me. Because of You, I can also forgive others and not be trapped by bitterness or resentment. Praise You Lord! Amen
Tommy's Thoughts:
We may sometimes think that the act of graciousness comes only from God. But as Christian, God has called us to be Christ-like, that includes being gracious and compassionate to others, even those who has hurt us before. By not forgiving and being resentful, we only cause further emotional distress to our selves and it’ll be harder for us to receive total healing.
Because we are all sinners, we each played our part in putting Jesus on the Cross. But because of God’s love, grace and mercy, we all received forgiveness and a new life through His Son. Likewise, we as His children need to learn similarly to love, be kindhearted and compassionate to others, not only to those selected few we like and comfortable with.
Dear Lord, thank You for Your constant guidance and teachings that lead me to be the person You wanted me to be. Teach me to show genuine love and compassion to others; to be more sensitive and understanding, slow to anger, forgiving and always lives in peace with You and with others. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.


