Friday, July 14, 2006

Realistic Expectations

2 Timothy 4:16-18

16At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them. 17But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion's mouth. 18The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Bee's Thoughts:
One of the things I’ve learned as I’ve grown older is not to expect too much from people. It’s possible to pour a good deal of energy and love into a friend or family member and see no growth or receive no gratitude for our efforts. It’s even possible that others may receive credit for the work we’ve done.

If we expect everyone to recognize and appreciate what we have done for them, we will certainly be deeply hurt.

- David H. Roper

I agree with the above writer. I have also learnt "not to expect too much from people".

When I was a child I expected love from my mum but I didn't get it, and the hurt never leave me even as an adult. When she past away this year, that hurt was released.

As a teenager, I dared not expect to be loved and I rejected it whenever someone tried to get close to me.

As an adult, I tried to open myself up and expected to be loved again. But again I was disappointed and I never expect it anymore. I am contended to just have a "best friend".

It's painful to be desserted by people whom we expect to stay with us, like in Paul's case (v16). Yet Paul stayed positive as he turned his eyes upon Jesus (v17). When people desserted him, he felt God's presence. He never leave Paul nor forsake him. Similarly, I felt the same way.

Dear Lord,
Thank You that I can rely on You when others fail me. You never leave me alone. Thank You that I have learnt to be realistic about my expectation. I shall put my hope in You Lord.
Amen.

Tommy's Thoughts:

As Christian, we are never alone even though sometimes we may think we are. We see the need to face and struggle with our problems on our own. But the truth is that our loving and faithful God knows our every pain and struggle, standing always beside us through thick and thin, giving us the strength to hold on in the midst of our troubles.

Dear Lord, forgive me for not seeing and knowing that You are always working things out for good and right for me. Forgive me of underestimating what You can change and bring into my life when I submit wholeheartedly to You. Thank You for Your strength, forgiveness and the Way to allow me to walk back into Your light. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.