Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Spiritual Checkup

Proverbs 4:20-27

20 My son, pay attention to what I say;
listen closely to my words.

21 Do not let them out of your sight,
keep them within your heart;

22 for they are life to those who find them
and health to a man's whole body.

23 Above all else, guard your heart,
for it is the wellspring of life.

24 Put away perversity from your mouth;
keep corrupt talk far from your lips.

25 Let your eyes look straight ahead,
fix your gaze directly before you.

26 Make level [a] paths for your feet
and take only ways that are firm.

27 Do not swerve to the right or the left;
keep your foot from evil.

Bee's Thoughts:

I like the title of this devotion, "Spiritual Checkup". The passage talks about guarding the "whole body" of a person... heart, mouth, eyes and feet. If we don't offer our bodies to God, the devil will make our bodies his slaves for evil. No wonder Romans 12:1 says:
"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship.
So here we are asked to guard every part of our bodies, including our hearts. We have to constantly ask God to keep our hearts pure. Jesus promised in Matthew 5:8:
"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God."

Dear Lord,
Thank You for reminding me that I have to ensure my whole body is healthy by offering it to You as a living sacrifice. I pray that You will keep me pure in You. May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord.
Thank You for answering my specific prayers today. From now on, I will pray more specifically, for You are the God of the impossible when my prayers are asked in Your will.
Praise You again! Amen.

Tommy's Thoughts:

Our busy schedules and works may often make us skip going to God daily, to listen closely to His words that guide our path and direction. We think we’ll be able to play catch-up later when our tasks are done.

Most of the times, this never happens and soon we’ll know we’ve drifted far away from God. Without God’s wisdom, protection, strength and guidance, we inevitably swerve towards things that are evil.

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding again about the importance to pay attention and listen to Your words; keeping them closely within my heart. Teach me to always guard my heart from all evil and harmful thoughts. Keep my feet on Your solid ground, that I may walk blameless, pure and holy in Your eyes. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.