Monday, December 12, 2005

"But God . . ."

Genesis 39

Joseph and Potiphar's Wife
2 The LORD was with Joseph and he prospered, and he lived in the house of his Egyptian master. 3 When his master saw that the LORD was with him and that the LORD gave him success in everything he did, 4 Joseph found favor in his eyes and became his attendant. Potiphar put him in charge of his household, and he entrusted to his care everything he owned. 5 From the time he put him in charge of his household and of all that he owned, the LORD blessed the household of the Egyptian because of Joseph. The blessing of the LORD was on everything Potiphar had, both in the house and in the field. 6 So he left in Joseph's care everything he had; with Joseph in charge, he did not concern himself with anything except the food he ate.
Now Joseph was well-built and handsome, 7 and after a while his master's wife took notice of Joseph and said, "Come to bed with me!"

8 But he refused. "With me in charge," he told her, "my master does not concern himself with anything in the house; everything he owns he has entrusted to my care. 9 No one is greater in this house than I am. My master has withheld nothing from me except you, because you are his wife. How then could I do such a wicked thing and sin against God?" 10 And though she spoke to Joseph day after day, he refused to go to bed with her or even be with her.

11 One day he went into the house to attend to his duties, and none of the household servants was inside. 12 She caught him by his cloak and said, "Come to bed with me!" But he left his cloak in her hand and ran out of the house....

19 When his master heard the story his wife told him, saying, "This is how your slave treated me," he burned with anger. 20 Joseph's master took him and put him in prison, the place where the king's prisoners were confined.
But while Joseph was there in the prison, 21 the LORD was with him; he showed him kindness and granted him favor in the eyes of the prison warden. 22 So the warden put Joseph in charge of all those held in the prison, and he was made responsible for all that was done there. 23 The warden paid no attention to anything under Joseph's care, because the LORD was with Joseph and gave him success in whatever he did.



Bee's Thoughts:

Today's deveotion let me learn some practical Christian workplace principles from Joseph's life.

1. In 'bad' times God has His blessinge awaiting for us, i.e. blessings in disguise (v2)... So I need to trust God to know what's best for me even when situation looks 'bleak' at times.

2. God blesses others through us and because of us (v5)... I can make a difference in people's life by godly living.

3. Promotion at work comes from God as God makes us find 'favour' in our boss' eyes (v6)... I need not worry about my career advancement, I just need to do my best all the time and leave the 'promotion' to God.

4. Beware of temptaions at work as there can be seductions in any forms (bribery, cheating, illicit relationship, etc) to cause us to sin (v7)... I need to be on guard at all times.

5. Never be alone with the opposite sexes so as to prevent temptations and gossip (v7)... Don't give the devil any chance to make us sin.

6. Flee from tempation and sins when they come (v10).... Running away from temptaions to sin is not being weak but being wise.

7. Even when we are 'fired' by our boss for doing things righteously and ethically, we need not worry as God will still be with us (v19-21)... Always stay ethical at work, for God is with me.

8. When one 'door' is closed, God will open another door for us (v22-23)... I need to trust in God's providence at all times.

Dear Lord, thank You for today's lessons. Thank You for Your reminder and encouragement through the story of Joseph. Let me do what is right in Your eyes at all times. Amen.



Tommy's Thought:
I used to relax when my boss is not around. I spend time surfing the net, emailing friends, chatting and doing all kind of things that totally not related to my work. And when he’s back, I rushed back to my place pretending busy doing my work. I was horribly dishonest; I cheated and lied to my boss in this way. I also came up with all kind of reasons to justify this irresponsible action of mine.

When I get to know Christ and knowing the person He is, I’ve learnt to be an honest person. I’ve stop all those bad habits and diligently concentrate on my work ever since. I pray to God every day to help me do my work well in the office whether the boss is around or not, went to a trip oversea or on holiday. Through this change, I managed to equip myself better when a tough assignment comes along. At the end of the day, I can see God smiling at me saying, “Good work, son!”


Thank you Lord, first of all, for allowing me to be able to do this devotion despite the incredibly tight and busy schedule I have for this week. You have been really great to me, with Your constant encouragement and wisdom shown to me when I needed them most. And thank you Bee for your constant prayer for me :). Lord, I pray to You for strength, creativity, and patience when working on projects and also dealing with people. Help me to be able to finish my job on time with satisfying result. Thank You, Lord for all these. In Jesus’ name, I pray, Amen.


.......the devotion of Bee & Tommy