A Tale Of Two Slaves
Jesus Taken Up Into Heaven
1 In my former book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus began to do and to teach 2 until the day he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles he had chosen. 3 After his suffering, he showed himself to these men and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God. 4 On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: "Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. 5 For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit."
6 So when they met together, they asked him, "Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?"
7 He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."
9 After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.
Acts 1:17-18
17 he was one of our number and shared in this ministry."
18 (With the reward he got for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out.
Bee's Thoughts:
"A Tale Of Two Slaves" sounds vague to me when I first read the above passage. I was wondering what God wants to tell me in this devotion. I asked Him.
Then when I read v17-18 again, it dawned upon me that Judas was one of the followers of Christ and also shared in the ministry with the disciples. Yet he betrayed Christ out of greed. He is one good illustration of yesterday's devotion about those "who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain" (1 Timothy 6:5). There are always 'wolves' amongst the 'sheep'. We have to be very careful of such people and we also need to be careful not become one of them.
On the contrary, Paul was once a very highly educated and successful person by world's standard. Yet when he met Christ, he gave up all that he had to become a willing 'slave' of Christ.
So what does God want to tell me today?
I have been feeling quite down as I felt that my high education and my past successes in my career seem going downhill lately. I don't know why it should happen to me. But today I get the assurance that when God wants to use me, He might allow things to happen to change my mindset, strip me of my human ability so I will fully rely on Him. And when great things happen the glory will fully go to God instead of me.
Lately, I have learnt that instead of me telling someone of my concern about a certain 'shortcoming', I should pray daily so that the Holy Spirit will convict that person of the matter, just like in the case of Tommy's devotion time. Yes, God spoke to Tommy and convicted him about prioritizing. I didn't say anything about it to him. Praise God!
Dear Lord, thank You for giving me the assurance that I can be like Paul, giving up my successes in life for the sake of a higher prize that is within Your will. Thank You that in whatever circumstances I am in You have a plan for me. Let me be willing to trust and obey Your calling. Speak to me more concerning it and show me Your direction for me, Lord. Amen.
Tommy's Thoughts:
Lord God Almighty, I acknowledge that You are always in control and You always knows what is best for me presently and in the coming future. I need to say this because I always forget it and this forgetfulness does lead me into problems. Lord, I confessed also that at time I’m greatly discouraged and troubled by things that happened in front of me at that moment. There are also times I asked when You will restore Your Kingdom; when all these constant battle and struggles will ends.
But thank you Lord for the Holy Spirit, who never stops to comfort and open my eyes to You and Your promises. Lord, through today passage, I’ve learnt clearly now that You’ve called me to be Your witness to the world today while waiting joyously for Your return. As Christian, I am to be the light and salt of the world. Guide me Lord through the Holy Spirit that I will always remember this in my mind. I pray to You Lord to give me strength, wisdom, peace and hope for everything I’ll encounter in the coming days. Thank You Lord and I will trust only in You always, AMEN!!
.......the devotion of Bee & Tommy

