Friday, December 23, 2005

Knowing God Personally

Exodus 33:7-17

The Tent of Meeting
7 Now Moses used to take a tent and pitch it outside the camp some distance away, calling it the "tent of meeting." Anyone inquiring of the LORD would go to the tent of meeting outside the camp. 8 And whenever Moses went out to the tent, all the people rose and stood at the entrances to their tents, watching Moses until he entered the tent. 9 As Moses went into the tent, the pillar of cloud would come down and stay at the entrance, while the LORD spoke with Moses. 10 Whenever the people saw the pillar of cloud standing at the entrance to the tent, they all stood and worshiped, each at the entrance to his tent. 11 The LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks with his friend. Then Moses would return to the camp, but his young aide Joshua son of Nun did not leave the tent.

Moses and the Glory of the LORD
12 Moses said to the LORD, "You have been telling me, 'Lead these people,' but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. You have said, 'I know you by name and you have found favor with me.' 13 If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you. Remember that this nation is your people."

14 The LORD replied, "My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest."

15 Then Moses said to him, "If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. 16 How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?"

17 And the LORD said to Moses, "I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name."
Bee's Thoughts:

As I read the above passage, I felt like crying... it's so beautiful a picture! Moses has a very intimate relationship with God... I wish to have that too.

1. God spoke to Moses "face to face, as a man speaks with his friend." (v11) -- Wow! How does it feel like to have the Prime Minister or the King speaking to me like a friend? Now, this is an almighty God!

2. God would "do the very thing" Moses asked and prayed for. (v17) -- If I know God will answer all my prayers, I better be careful of what I ask... I become accountable to them.

3. God was "pleased with" Moses (v17) -- How do I please God? Yesterday's devotion says "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." (Roman 12:2) then we will know what is pleasing to God.

4. God knew Moses "by name." (v17) -- Not a stranger but a personal friend. I believe God also know me by name... He knows me even before I was born. Thanks, God!

How can Christians be different from the rest of the world? By having God's "presence" and "rest" with them (v14). If we know God is just next to us, wouldn't we be more careful with our behaviour and wouldn't we feel safe and restful? Yes, we will. But when we sin, God's presence leaves us and we feel restless.

Dear Lord, Thank You for showing me how I can have an intimate relationship with You too, just like Moses. I know You have been speaking to me daily as I devote my time to read Your Word, and I have been conversing with You in my daily prayers too. But I want more, Lord... I want You to speak to me "like a friend", to "teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you". Thank You for always hearing my prayers. Amen.

.......the devotion of Bee