Sunday, December 11, 2005

Confronted By The Cross

Luke 23:33-43

33 When they came to the place called the Skull, there they crucified him, along with the criminals—one on his right, the other on his left. 34 Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.

35 The people stood watching, and the rulers even sneered at him. They said, "He saved others; let him save himself if he is the Christ of God, the Chosen One." 36 The soldiers also came up and mocked him. They offered him wine vinegar and said, "If you are the king of the Jews, save yourself." 38 There was a written notice above him, which read:|sc THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!" 40 But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? 41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong."

42 Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."

43 Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

Tommy's Thoughts:
Few years back; a non-believer friend questioned sarcastically his Christian friends about why God, if he really exists, no longer perform His miracle to the people like He used to do during Moses time. He said if He do that now, every person will believe in Him and people will obey Him and stay away from evil; the world will become a better place to live in. Where’s the miracle nowadays? He asked. And his Christian friend answered that Jesus is THE miracle today. At that time, being a really young Christian, I was unable to grasp the meaning of that, but I know now exactly what they meant.

There is no greater sin than the sin of unbelief. When pride closes our heart from opening it to God, we will be blinded from the amazing truth that we are free and longer a slave to sin and death when Christ died on the cross. Our old self who was filled with sin, grieve, anguish, unhappiness, lies, condemnation, selfishness, discontentment, guilt and all the other loads that we have been carrying for so many years will die on the Cross together with Christ if we were to believe in Him. When Christ risen from the death, we too, are reborn with a new self in Him.

But, I used to ask how do I do that, to put to death my old self? Though I believe in Christ and wanted so much to obey Him, but I do not do what I want to do but do the very thing that I hate, I felt so trap. Obviously, I did not know what I was doing. It took me quite some time to realize that I can’t put to death for something that already been dead 2000 years ago! Paul asked, "Are we to continue to sin that grace might increase? May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?" (Romans 6:1, 2).

When we understand this concept, we will put down all our methods and ways to stop us from sinning and start believing we can be alive and free in Christ by submitting to Him and to resist the devil. In this way, we will see our self free from the endless cycle of sins. Our responsibility then is to walk by faith in God and His truth, relying on the power of the Holy Spirit, and we will no longer give in to sin. When we believe this today, Jesus will look at us and says, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

Thank you Lord, for teaching me to walk by faith. I will push away Satan’s accusation that places me under guilt and condemnation for sins which God has totally forgiven. I will always remember what You has done for me in Christ and what it means to be Your child. Amen!




Bee's Thoughts:

Yesterday's devotion brought us "The Big News" of Christ's birth but in today's devotion we are "Confronted By The Cross". Jesus was born to die... yet not many people appreciate His death, just like one of the criminals who sarcastically said to Jesus to save Himself and them from punishment.

But for those who could appreciate what Jesus did and accept His salvation, just like "the other criminal", Jesus promised "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."



Dear Lord Jesus, remember me now and when You come again. Remember all those who have faith in You and honor Your name. For You said that when we confess You before men, You will also confess us before Your Father in heaven. When we give You our time, You will give us Yours too. Thank You for this promise. Amen.


.......the devotion of Bee and Tommy