Saturday, December 03, 2005

Coming Full Circle

Luke 15:11-32

The Parable of the Lost Son

11 Jesus continued: "There was a man who had two sons. 12 The younger one said to his father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them...

16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything...

20 So he got up and went to his father.
"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

21 "The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.'

22 "But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate...

28 "The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29 But he answered his father, 'Look! All these years I've been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!'

31 " 'My son,' the father said, 'you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' "
Tommy's Thoughts:

There are many times I have run away from God in pursuit of worldly fulfillment that not only never satisfied but has pulled me down to the lowest point in my life. I would have stay there in the pit with continued remorse and regret. But, I went back to God every time.

There are two things that led me to do this:
  1. When I hit rock bottom, I came to accept my spiritual poverty and understand that without God everything will eventually fail and disappoint. I realized He is the only Way, the Truth and the Life.

  2. My knowledge of God’s love and forgiveness for me. Knowing God is like the father in the parable, I made the decision to respond to His love by going back to Him.
Thank you Lord for your forgiveness as I’ve rebelled against You so many times with my attitude and actions towards others. But Lord, guard my heart so that I will not use this as an excuse to stray away from You. I will continue to work out my salvation (Philippians 2:12-18) as You’ve never condone sins or ignore their seriousness in permanently affecting our future if we were to ‘toy around’ them. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

Bee's Thoughts:

Sometimes I am like the younger son...
wondering away from God when He blessed me so much;
then I would return to Him all brokened,
needing His forgiveness and restoration.

Sometimes I am like the older son...
wondering why God is so gracious to receive one who's left;
why is attention given to one who isn't faithful,
why is my faithfulness taken for granted?

Do I really know the heart of my Father?
Do I realize how deep is His love for the lost?
Do I share His purpose and desires?
Do I really know Him?

To know one well is to know one's heart and intentions,
even when one's actions seem to puzzle.
To love one truly is to share one's dreams and longings,
as if they are my very own.

- Bee

Let me know Your heart and share your desires, Father.

.......the devotion of Bee & Tommy