Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Forgotten In The Gifts

John 3:13-21

13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man. 14 Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15 that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.

16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. 19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21 But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God."

Bee's Thoughts:
Hmmn... God knows our thoughts ya. I was just talking to a friend last night about "gifts" for Christmas, and today's devotions is about "gifts"too.

Yes, Christmas is just around the corner and people are busy buying "gifts" for others for various reasons. What reasons? It could be out of love, or out of obligation, or even out of ulterior motives to gain favour from bosses or customers. Well, whatever the reasons are we might have forgotten the reason for having Christmas.

I interpret "ChristMAS" as "Christ Must Always Shines". We have Christmas, because "God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life" (v16). This is the best of best "gift" God has given to us.

Who else will ever give himself/herself as a"gift" to another? If there is such a person who will do that to me unconditionally, will I not be touched and will I not love such a person (unless I am a robot)? Surely I will... not sure about others. That's why the very moment I came to know of John 3:16, I gave my heart to Jesus.... that's the only right thing to do. And that's one decision that I have never regretted for making even when I was at the lowest pit of my life.


Thank You, Lord Jesus, for giving Yourself to me. May You shine through this Christmas at Orchard. May the world know that Christmas is You and not the gifts. Show us how we may love each other more this Christmas because Christmas is love. Amen.

Tommy's Thought:
When I was an early Christian, I simply can’t comprehend both the meaning of God sending His Son to save mankind and why Christ has to die on the cross to save us. I used to think I don’t need whatsoever saving, especially from God Himself. I thought I’ve lived as good a life as anyone else. I don’t see a need for Christ. Little did I know then, how broken I actually was. As God works His ways in me through the Spirit over the years, I soon saw all those “darkness” in me came to light; exposed slowly little by little right in front of me. Only through this, I later came to grasp how hopeless I was and the reason why God send His beloved Son to us.

Another reason was my starling realization that if God hasn’t sent His Son, we are destined to be lost and doomed. We all have sinned and fall short of God’s glory. Christ is the only way to restore our relationship with God. Once we believe in Him, He will guide and move us to be a right and good person, naturally and genuinely. And that’s the right sequence of how a person should change; not through his own effort but through God’s grace and the Spirit working inside them; turning them away from darkness and walking into the light.

Lord, thank you very much for giving us the greatest Gift of all, Jesus Christ Your only begotten Son. As we celebrate the Good News that Christ is born this season, let us remember and spread the true meaning of Christmas and the blessing of God’s love, hope and peace for all of us. Amen.

.......the devotion of Bee and Tommy