Friday, December 16, 2005

Job Opening for Practical Love

Romans 12:9-16


Love
9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
illustrated by Tommy

Bee's Thoughts:

Ah, I was wondering what "job opening" I am going to hear from God in today's devotion. But as I read the above passage I know what He is trying to say. There are 'job vacancies' for people who would love in practical ways.

Very often people 'love' in words and not deeds because they don't know how to love practically or they think that love must comes with a 'warm feeling'. The moment they lose that 'warm feeling' they stop caring for the one they used to care before.

Perhaps we need to relearn the meaning of love. Maybe a helpful way to relearn is to replace the word "love" with "care" as we don't have problem in associating "care" with actions. Example, instead of saying "I love you", we may say "I care for you", or "I want to give you...", or "I want to do this for you", or "I want to be your listening ear", etc.

In fact, when we practically and consistently do something for someone, he/she will KNOW and FEEL that we love them even if we never say it. In another words, the 'feeling' part is for the other person (receiver) rather than for us (giver)... but we tend to reverse it. Sounds complicating?

I don't usually 'fall in love'... I grow to love. How I grow to love someone is when I receive constant care from that person over a period of time. He might not say he loves me, but I KNOW and can FEEL it, and deeply appreciate what he does for me. When I grow to love that person I continue to care even when that person has stopped caring for me. I choose to love though my heart feels otherwise.

So love is also an "attitude" like those mentioned in the passage above. Love must be...
sincere,
devoted,
honor the other above self,
zealeous,
fervor as in serving God,
joyful in hope,
patient in affliction,
faithful in prayer,
share,
hospitable,
bless those who persecute you,
rejoice with those who rejoice;
mourn with those who mourn,
live in harmony,
not proud,
associate with people of low position,
not conceited.

The best use of your life is love.

The best expression of your love is time.

The best time to love is now.

- Rick Warren



Dear Lord,
There is no better time to love than now, especially Christmas is around.
Help me give time to someone to show my love abounds.
Perhaps I don't have the capacity to love everyone equally.
But for the one I choose to love, let me love unconditionally.
Amen.


.......the devotion of Bee